Monday, July 9, 2012

Touch Up Paint

Its funny how customers think we have touch up paint. Scratches and dings in their paint become our problem the moment they walk through the door.
Manufactures pride themselves in painting their new models in colors never seen before. Something that stands out on the sales floor is a good idea, but when it comes to making an old bike look new, it gets hard.
We always suggest nail polish, but, "nail polish is for girls!" is the look I get from the guys.
We had a "Smart Guy" that came into the store about 10 years ago that was going to find a place for himself in the bicycle market. He seemed to have some money to start with and asked,"If there was anything you would want to have that isn't available for your customers, what would it be?"
The first thing to come to mind was touch up paint.
Turns out the reason it isn't available is because its paint.
Paint, because of state and federal regulations is hard to make and harder to sell.
He bailed out and moved onto bike polish, (an item we didn't need.)
Bianchi "Celeste" seems to be the hardest to find, But with ever increasing supply of nail salons and the desire to have unique nails, nail polish still seems to be the best answer.
Good thing the Raleigh is black!


5 comments:

  1. Several of my Raleighs are Bronze Green...however the color varies from year to year. I have had decent luck with mixing nail polish to get close. The best method? Wipe it down with an oily rag and ride on! Scratches and chips happen.

    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. But Black is Best in my way of looking at them. I have had 3 shades of blue, B.R.G, Gold, Red, Silver, Brown, Olive, But the first thing I ask when someone tells me that they have a 3 speed for sale, is "What color?" If they say black, I say I'm interested!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen a Superbe in Black. The Superbe was always one of my "grail" bikes. And I have one in green. I do have a Sports Standard and a Tourist in the black. I live in a part of the country where Raleigh 3 speeds are few and far between. Of the collection I have right now only one of the eight was purchased locally, the rest were "imported" from other parts of the country. Beggars can't be choosy sometimes. ;)

    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  4. Old post, I know, but I enjoyed reading! I have a 1979 Superbe in green, and am about to restore it. The paint is decent, but it has is cuts and abrasions here and there. I was trying to think of the best way to touch up, but I think I will just leave it be, after reading your comments. There is something attractive and beautiful, to be sure, about the original condition, the patina. Thanks guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Old post, I know, but I enjoyed reading! I have a 1979 Superbe in green, and am about to restore it. The paint is decent, but it has is cuts and abrasions here and there. I was trying to think of the best way to touch up, but I think I will just leave it be, after reading your comments. There is something attractive and beautiful, to be sure, about the original condition, the patina. Thanks guys!

    ReplyDelete