Saturday, October 5, 2024

My 2024 Summer Project

This beautiful 1926 Raleigh Roadster came to me by way of a friends referral. I have been known for quite a while to have a love for Pre-War Raleighs, so when I was told about it being available, I said that I was very interested. A friend of s friend, Ryan called and told me enough for me to say Yes. "Bring it over and I will give you an extra $50 for doing so.
After a few texts back and forth, we pined a date to get together at my house and me buy the bike. Ryan showed exactly on time and as he rolled the bike into my barn, I handed him the cash. We had agreed on the price and I was happy to have the bike.
It was all there. the only thing that didn't look original were the grips and the tires. It wasn't rusty, but had not been cleaned or polished for a very long time. Badly oxidized paint and a baked on grease it places that would. be impossible to get to with dismantling the bike first.
The numbers on the hib proved that the bike was built not before 1926.
The story with the bikes past is that it had been brought overseas years ago by a Gent and after passing away, aquired by his wife. Im not sure how long it sat before she sold it, but it seems that l might be the 3rd owner. Raleighs before the 1930's are rare here in the United States. The Raleigh only started being imported with Raleigh of America around 1932.
The bike had been ridden. The rubber blocks from the pedals show that. Kept in OK shape, it is clear the bike was never left outside for any length of time. What a always do when I get a new Raleigh is dismantle it and clean and polish I know enough to never repaint the frame, but have touched up spots. This bike was different. I gave it some thought and figured it might be best to just leave it alone. After about 2 weeks, I just started taking it apart. It was really dirty and there were places that I never could have gotten to without removing parts first.

No comments:

Post a Comment